Utah State Winter Sports - Skiing and Snowboarding
Skiing and snowboarding were chosen by the Utah State Legislature in 2012 to be Utah's official winter sports (Utah Code). This state symbol was inspired by Colorado adopting skiing as their official winter sport in 2008.
Representative Steve Eliason sponsored the bill because "skiing and snowboarding are an economic boon, luring travelers and bolstering state coffers" (Salt Lake Tribune). Skiing and snowboarding are a vital part of Utah's winter economy. In 2011 Utah had 4.2 million skier days and generated 20,000 jobs.
Skiing and Snowboarding in Utah
- Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Games (Official Legacy Website)
- Ski Utah: The Greatest Snow on Earth® (Official Ski Utah Site)
- Ski Utah: The Greatest Snow on Earth® (Official Ski Utah YouTube Channel)
- Skiing & Snowboarding Publications (Utah Government Digital Library, Utah State Library)
- Utah Ski and Snow Sports (Utah Office of Tourism)
- Utah Ski Resorts (Utah Office of Tourism)
- Utah Skiing and Snowboarding (Utah Travel Industry)
Learn more about Avalanches and Snow
- Utah Avalanche Center (U.S. Forest Service)
- Wasatch Snow on the Go! (National Weather Service Forecast Office)